Friday 19 December 2008

Reflections on Online Project module


When we started this module, my expectations weren't too high. Using the Internet day-in and day-out, I just thought there wasn't anything new to learn about really. I thought I would get bored with it. So, I wasn't too thrilled to start off with.

How wrong I was! I heard of blogging before, but finally getting the chance and being given and shown the initiative how to do it, was great! There is a difference between hearing of features and then actually actively using them yourself! I think I haven't written more text in six weeks or at least haven't enjoyed it as much ever before. I guess, that is because we were able to choose our own topics of interest with our own opinions in contrast to the other modules where we have to write essays on topics that are given to us, we don't necessarily have much of a clue of, and have to do much more research and have to provide a load of references with it. 

I especially enjoyed writing the Football Features as I explained in my Reflections on it. I could write 100 blogs on the sport but had to keep control of myself. It was difficult for me to make my mind up, what to post and what to leave out, as we obviously had a limit of how much to post. For example with the match report, I had originally planned to write it all in one but when I noticed how much material I had, I made two blogs of it, the Match Summary and Match Report

The opposite it was though with the summary of the weekend's action. I originally thought of making two separate blogs, one with my predictions and reactions to the results and one with the best and worst bits. But when I came to think of it, I thought that to do four out of the five features we had to do all on football, it would be too much on the weekend's action, with hardly any room left for any other features. So, I compromised and put them both in one Weekend Summary feature.

Another part of the Online Project that surprised me, was the Group Project. As I said in my Reflections on it, I was positively surprised in this case, too. Beforehand, I just didn't have a clue about what to do and who would join me on it. But, with Amy's idea my day was saved and I really enjoyed writing about different comedy features and ideas. So, sometimes you are given the ideas and can do more with them than you would have thought previously.

The module also made me realise that my interest and passion in writing and sports has never been stronger. Not all modules do that. That's why this module is definitely one of my favourites, making this semester the best so far for me.

All in all, it was good fun and I learnt more with it than I expected beforehand. It just underlined and confirmed that you never know everything. I am aware now how naive I was, thinking I knew something just to realise and have my eyes opened that this was not the case. But, I guess, as long as you still have those moments of realisation, you are learning and making progress. And that is always good. 


(image provided by the Wedding Dimension website)

No comments: