Friday 19 December 2008

Reflecting on the Football Feature

I enjoyed this Football Feature project the most because I could concentrate on a topic that interests me most, that is my passion.

With football, you never run out of material, be it coverage of individual teams or matches, individual players or managers, depending on what is the latest breaking news. Week-in, week-out, there are new matches and clashes, new headlines and material to work with. You can never run out of material to cover! 

And as I always say about sports news in general, it is the only news that isn't dominated by bad news (latest abuse and murder cases, explosions and death tolls in conflict areas, job losses and poverty stats in effect of the credit crunch, etc. etc.). 

As I mentioned in my Feature Idea blog, too, I am a regular follower of football blogs written by various former players and pundits on the Sky Sports Opinion page and was led by their example with my ideas and how to realise them.

There is a short personal background story to this passion of mine: 
I have enjoyed football all my life and started writing about it at a young age. When I was about nine, I had an infection to my brain and lost my memory temporarily. Especially my long-term memory was affected. I started writing down the weekly Premiership results, stats and facts about the top league's teams and especially focused on my beloved Liverpool. I collected everything about them. I started writing down the stats and facts of every match I got to see live of my holy Reds with a little personal match summary at the end of each of them, too. I just always wanted to be up to date and remember the state of the football affairs. 

Now, over ten years later, I could fill a little football library with the stuff that has accumulated over the years. But I still haven't lost my passion for the sports nor to write about it, quite the opposite. That has brought me on onto the career path of becoming a journalist. I want to turn my passion into my job. That is why I am sitting here, doing the course, trying to get my foot in the door. 

So, I hope this explains why I have enjoyed this week's feature blogs the most and can't wait to take it over as my job!

(images taken from: top left: chosengirls.ning.com; bottom right: scribblepad.co.uk)

No comments: